Friday, September 18, 2015

My Beloved

Song of Solomon 2:8-10 (AMP)
8 “Listen! My beloved!
Behold, he comes,
Climbing on the mountains,
Leaping and running on the hills!
9 “My beloved is like a gazelle or a young stag.
Behold, he is standing behind our wall,
He is looking through the windows,
He is gazing through the lattice.
10 “My beloved speaks and says to me,
‘Arise, my love, my fair one,
And come away.

As I woke up this morning, I was still groggy and tired as I slowly got up out of bed and made my way to the shower.  My mind was blank and it seemed that I had nothing to offer anyone, especially the Lord.  As I took my shower my thoughts eventually turned to the Lord, and I prayed “Lord, I have nothing to offer you this morning, no praise, no thankfulness, nothing but an empty mind and an empty vessel.  This is what I present to you this morning, for even my emptiness belongs to you.”  Immediately the Lord spoke to my mind with the scripture above. He emphasized the words “My Beloved” to me. I then took those two words and began to recount the story of the Shulamite bride (from the Song of Solomon) who did not see herself as worthy of the King’s affection, but because of His love for her she desired it above anything else.

Then even I began to perceive the desire of the Bridegroom for His Bride.
My Beloved came to me swiftly when I had nothing to offer Him, climbing even high mountains to reach me, running and leaping over the foothills to meet me quickly, all for the sake of love.

Song of Solomon 2:14 (AMP)
14 “O my dove, [here] in the clefts in the rock,
In the sheltered and secret place of the steep pathway,
Let me see your face,
Let me hear your voice;
For your voice is sweet,
And your face is lovely.”

Our Father in Heaven loves us and pursues us with a love which is beyond limits or boundaries; He loves us and sees us through the eyes of His Son Christ Jesus.  The Father also draws us to Himself that we may see Jesus as the perfect representation of the Father’s love demonstrated in us.

There is amazing beauty which cannot be described by words alone when a man or woman has been touched by the love of God. It is a beauty filled with such sweetness and desire that it can only be described as divine.  It is from that place of love that we are drawn, and it is that place of love that we must return, for once enlightened our hearts demand nothing less.

It is from this place of love that the Christian journey begins and ends, not from the pursuit of knowledge or wisdom which are good pursuits, but only temporary rest stops for our soul which were originally designed to further our love in Him.  The main purpose of Jesus coming to earth is God’s love for humanity; it is when we lose sight of that main purpose that we become stuck in the aspects of love rather than growing in love itself. 

Song of Solomon 2:16-17 (AMP)
16 “My beloved is mine and I am his;
He pastures his flock among the lilies.
17 “Until the cool of the day when the shadows flee away,
Return quickly, my beloved, and be like a gazelle
Or a young stag on the mountains of Bether [which separate us].”

I for one believe in bible study with the intent of seeing God’s true heart in scripture, if we only focus on the details of history we miss an enthralling love story which encompasses many generations and many different people groups where God was calling out people to hear Him and to love Him.  When God was reproving His people for their sin, it was only to get them to turn from actions or attitudes which were not pursuing love.  Many times as God was speaking to errant people He was revealing the brokenness of His heart toward His people.

Jesus is described as a Groom in search of a Bride.  We are called the Bride of Christ.

Revelation 19:7-9 (AMP)
7 “Let us rejoice and shout for joy! Let us give Him glory and honor, for the marriage of the Lamb has come [at last] and His bride (the redeemed) has prepared herself.” 8 She has been permitted to dress in fine linen, dazzling white and clean—for the fine linen signifies the righteous acts of the saints [the ethical conduct, personal integrity, moral courage, and godly character of believers].
9 Then the angel said to me, “Write, ‘Blessed are those who are invited to the marriage supper of the Lamb.’” And he said to me [further], “These are the true and exact words of God.”

As a Christian people we are called to the great wedding feast, and amazingly we are His Bride, both individually and corporately.  We are loved by a God who sees unlimited potential in us as we move forward with Him and in Him to establish a reign of love. He gives us eyes to see the world from His perspective which in turn causes us to respond as He would. 

Song of Solomon 4:8-11 (AMP)
8 “Come away with me from Lebanon, my [promised] bride,
May you come with me from Lebanon.
Journey down from the top of Amana,
From the summit of Senir and Hermon,
From the dens of lions,
From the mountains of leopards.
9 “You have ravished my heart and given me courage, my sister, my [promised] bride;
You have ravished my heart and given me courage with a single glance of your eyes,
With one jewel of your necklace.
10 “How beautiful is your love, my sister, my [promised] bride!
How much better is your love than wine,
And the fragrance of your oils
Than all kinds of balsam and spices.
11 “Your lips, my [promised] bride, drip honey [as the honeycomb];
Honey and milk are under your tongue,
And the fragrance of your garments is like the fragrance of Lebanon.

Pic of Hannah Hurnard author of Hinds' Feet on High Places
I would recommend reading the book Hinds’ feet on High Places.  If you haven’t read it before, Hinds' Feet on High Places is Hannah Hurnard's best-known and best-loved book. It is a beautiful allegory dramatizing the yearning of God's children to be led to new heights of love, joy, and victory.

I am overwhelmed by the greatness of God’s love for us. We are on the precipice of great changes about to take place in us and in our world, for God is bringing us to a place where we will reign with Him in love, mercy and grace.  Our world doesn’t realize it yet, but it is crying out for a Savior. We do have a loving Savior who is not only seeking a bride, but He is about to return and receive the Kingdoms of this earth.  I continue to pray that God’s mercy would be extended for a bit longer that many more may come to know Him as well.

I pray that God’s love will fill your heart, bringing you confidence of the awareness that God is just and merciful. None of us deserve mercy but it is lovingly offered to us without obligation. May His kindness lead you to a saving relationship with Jesus, and if you already know Him, may you grow in the depths of His love and in the character of our Lord.

Blessings to you

Stephen Barnett
God is good all the time―all the time God is good!


We Are Your Bride
(Andy Park)

We are Your bride, You are our bridegroom
We’re waiting here for You
Our hearts are filled with expectation
We’re waiting here for You

Lord give us clean garments
The righteous acts of the saints
Lord give us fine linen
Bright and clean to make us ready for You

Copyright © 1996 Mercy/Vineyard Publishing. All rights reserved. International copyright secured.
The lyrics presented above are copyrighted by the respective artist(s) and are demonstrated here for educational purposes only and not for profit.

No comments:

Post a Comment