Sunday, November 24, 2013

Gratefulness

Thanksgiving this year serves as a reminder that we are of a different spirit than that of the world.  Our home is in another place.  We are foreigners in a foreign land.  God’s kingdom is our true home and it awaits us as we draw closer to the day when we shall meet the Lord face to face.

Hebrews 13:14-15 (NASB)
14 For here we do not have a lasting city, but we are seeking the city which is to come.
15 Through Him then, let us continually offer up a sacrifice of praise to God, that is, the fruit of lips that give thanks to His name.

I have enjoyed many Thanksgiving meals with family and friends we have invited to our home in past years, yet this year it is different, maybe because I am different.  I have been unemployed since July of this year and have taken every opportunity to spend time with my family.  It has been difficult not working, but God has been faithful to my wife and I through this time of transition and has met our needs. 

I could be bitter about the economic condition of our country and the lack of good paying jobs in my community, but that is not the attitude I choose to adopt, I choose to be intentionally grateful and it has changed my life for the better.  I still look for work daily, but I am amazed by the other opportunities which I had not taken notice of before when I was working full time, like taking my grandson to school, or taking my granddaughter and grandson to the park and watching them interact with other children, or spending quality time at home with my wife and children. I am grateful to the Lord for these opportunities which I may overlooked.

Ephesians 5:15-16 (NASB)
15 Therefore be careful how you walk, not as unwise men but as wise, 16 making the most of your time, because the days are evil.

I believe that it is a matter of perspective rather than just arbitrarily succumbing to each circumstance that arises.  We can be filled with gratitude and thankfulness for God’s great provision in every circumstance even if we do not see the final outcome.  God is still to be honored and praised because He has the best outcome in mind, even when we can’t see it.

Thanksgiving has always been the most important holiday for me because it is traditionally a time to reflect on God’s goodness and give thanks to Him for His provision and protection.   

Romans 8:14 (NASB)
14 For all who are being led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God.

I believe our role is to set the standard of what a Christian looks like in difficult times as well as good.  I also believe our proper response to difficulty is to let others to see Christ in us as we allow Jesus to change our heart and attitude toward Him by being grateful for EVERYTHING that comes our way, even when it seems bad.  This way we become the living witnesses of Jesus.  As we stand firm in Christ with a grateful heart, we also stand guard over the measure of Christ within us, not letting this world (or our enemy) rob us of the fullness of Christ that has taken hold of us and is changing us to be more like He is. 

I wish to express gratitude and thankfulness to all of the men and women God has brought into my life to help shape me and mold me into the man I have become.  Some of the circumstances I have faced have brought tears and disillusionment, but through that disillusionment I have come to see clearly, and that clarity has forced me to rely completely upon Jesus and His strength to walk through difficult times confidently. 

May you also walk with confidence knowing this:

Romans 8:28 (ESV)
28 And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose.

May God Bless you with Thanksgiving and Gratefulness.

Psalm 100 (ESV)
1 Make a joyful noise to the Lord, all the earth!
2     Serve the Lord with gladness!
    Come into his presence with singing!
3 Know that the Lord, he is God!
    It is he who made us, and we are his;
    we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.
4 Enter his gates with thanksgiving,
    and his courts with praise!
    Give thanks to him; bless his name!
5 For the Lord is good;
    his steadfast love endures forever,
    and his faithfulness to all generations.

                 ↓ Click Here to listen to the song
Thank You Lord
By: Paul Baloche and Don Moen 

Verse 1:
I come before You today, 
and there's just one thing that I want to say
Thank You, Lord, thank You, Lord 
For all You've given to me, 
for all the blessings that I cannot see
Thank You, Lord, thank You, Lord
With a grateful heart, with a song of praise, 
With an outstretched arm I'll bless Your Name and

Chorus:
Thank You, Lord, I just want to thank You, Lord (repeat)

Verse 2:
For all You've done in my life, 
You took my darkness and gave me Your light
Thank You, Lord, thank You, Lord
You took my sin and my shame, 
You took my sickness and healed all my pain
Thank You, Lord, thank You, Lord
With a grateful heart, with a song of praise 
With an outstretched arm I'll bless Your Name and

Chorus:
Thank You, Lord, I just want to thank You, Lord (repeat)

Coda:
With a grateful heart, with a song of praise
With an outstretched arm I'll bless Your Name and

Chorus 2:
Thank You, Lord, I just want to thank You, Lord (repeat 4x)

 © 2004 Integrity's Hosanna! Music CCLI #4220833
The music above is copyrighted by the respective artists, and is demonstrated here for educational purposes only.

No comments:

Post a Comment