Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Devoted

William-Adolphe_Bouguereau_(1825-1905)  -  Compassion  (1895)
I love the this painting of Jesus on the cross with a man embracing him carrying his own cross being devoted to call of the cross as it calls him to die.  It tells such a precious story of love and devotion to Jesus.

Thayer’s Greek Lexicon describes “Devoted” like this:"...to be constant to one…to be steadfastly attentive  unto, to give unremitting care to a thing…to continue all the time in a place…to persevere, not to faint …to show one’s self courageous…to be in constant readiness for one, to wait on continually." 
Webster’s 1828 dictionary defines it like this: "DEVOTED, pp. Appropriated by vow; solemnly set apart or dedicated; consecrated; addicted; given up; doomed; consigned."

I struggle with devotion sometimes.  I know there are also many people who struggle with devotion too. (I’m not speaking of an evening or morning devotional which we read a passage of scripture or an inspirational story; these are good things but not the topic of this discussion).  I am speaking of one being fully devoted to the Lord, being in all readiness for his leading wherever He desires to take you.   This truly presents a challenge with the present societal designs for our lives as we attempt to grind out a daily living by devoting ourselves to a job, school or career which gives us the promise of affording the ability to either buy or rent a home or apartment.  This type of devotion may seem displaced as we struggle to provide a living and a comfortable home for ourselves or our families when in our heart we may feel God’s call to higher, or more spiritual things. But in essence aren’t they the same thing?  Do we not commit our way’s to the Lord with our employment?  Are we not also devoted to serving the Lord through our skills and our talents?  And isn't it His grace that provides us with the resources to put a roof over our head?

Colossians 3:15-17 (NCV)
15 Let the peace that Christ gives control your thinking, because you were all called together in one body to have peace. Always be thankful. 16 Let the teaching of Christ live in you richly. Use all wisdom to teach and instruct each other by singing psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs with thankfulness in your hearts to God. 17 Everything you do or say should be done to obey Jesus your Lord. And in all you do, give thanks to God the Father through Jesus.

I desire to be an influence where I work and set an example which testifies of my integrity and fidelity to Jesus and His love of others.  But I can’t help but think at times that I may have somehow compromised my devotion to Jesus by allowing the concerns of corporate workplace policy stand in the way of my faithful response to Jesus. These are real life concerns for me. 

Philippians 4:12-13 (NCV)
12 I know how to live when I am poor, and I know how to live when I have plenty. I have learned the secret of being happy at any time in everything that happens, when I have enough to eat and when I go hungry, when I have more than I need and when I do not have enough. 13 I can do all things through Christ, because he gives me strength.


Given the opportunity to speak out for Jesus can be very rewarding to others as they receive healing as well as salvation in God's kingdom.

Living in the reality of Christ without a false concept of spirituality means that I must remain steadfast (devoted) to Jesus in every situation, if I speak about my faith in workplace, school or marketplace, the truth is Jesus wants to demonstrate His glory. Sometimes, the workplace has requirements that we not speak about our faith and being an example for Jesus may have a more positive effect than speaking in some situations.  In it’s own way the laws and corporate rules have forced us to display Christ in our actions rather than just our words.  Nowadays words alone have a way of bringing little effect upon those who don’t know Christ, yet a demonstration of Christ in the life of a believer in the form of good works may have a profound effect that may actually lead someone to salvation.

Romans 12:1-2 (NCV)
1 So brothers and sisters, since God has shown us great mercy, I beg you to offer your lives as a living sacrifice to him. Your offering must be only for God and pleasing to him, which is the spiritual way for you to worship. 2 Do not be shaped by this world; instead be changed within by a new way of thinking. Then you will be able to decide what God wants for you; you will know what is good and pleasing to him and what is perfect.

Somehow this tension between this secular world and what God has shown us as spiritual creates a middle ground in which God’s love can operate most effectively.  Our response is to be obedient (devoted) to the voice of the Lord, and respond in His love to the situations that present themselves, so that He may demonstrate His glory through us in every situation, even if it doesn’t go in our favor.

2 Corinthians 4:1-4 (NCV)
1 God, with his mercy, gave us this work to do, so we don’t give up. 2 But we have turned away from secret and shameful ways. We use no trickery, and we do not change the teaching of God. We teach the truth plainly, showing everyone who we are. Then they can know in their hearts what kind of people we are in God’s sight. 3 If the Good News that we preach is hidden, it is hidden only to those who are lost. 4 The devil who rules this world has blinded the minds of those who do not believe. They cannot see the light of the Good News—the Good News about the glory of Christ, who is exactly like God.

I am thankful that we have been given ample opportunity to speak and to demonstrate the truth of Jesus Christ in many ways through our lives. This is a treasure invested into our lives by God Himself.  A treasure, which is Christ himself. 

2 Corinthians 4:7-12 (NCV)
7 We have this treasure from God, but we are like clay jars that hold the treasure. This shows that the great power is from God, not from us. 8 We have troubles all around us, but we are not defeated. We do not know what to do, but we do not give up the hope of living. 9 We are persecuted, but God does not leave us. We are hurt sometimes, but we are not destroyed. 10 We carry the death of Jesus in our own bodies so that the life of Jesus can also be seen in our bodies. 11 We are alive, but for Jesus we are always in danger of death so that the life of Jesus can be seen in our bodies that die. 12 So death is working in us, but life is working in you.

“In the work of salvation Jesus stands alone.  Salvation is of the Lord.  If Christ is not all to you, he is nothing to you.  He will never go into partnership as a part Savior of men.  If he be something, he must be everything.  And if he be not everything, he is nothing to you.  There are many who, unconsciously to themselves, think Jesus Christ to be much, but yet they do not understand that he is all in all.”
Charles H. Spurgeon (from a sermon entitled “Christ is All” delivered August 20th, 1871)

My devotion to Jesus is not based on my efforts or merits that I might take some credit, no, it is based solely on the fact that Jesus did everything for me.  I stand in the finished work of Jesus.  As he was devoted to make a way of salvation for me a reality, I am devoted to him no matter how difficult the situation, to trust him fully as each day unfolds, and to obey and respond to His leading when he calls me.

I hope that you can also explore the depths of what devotion means to you.  Like I said earlier it is just a word, but it is packed with so much meaning. 

 Click Here to listen to the song
Devoted To You
(Cindy Rethmeier)

Lord Jesus, You are the delight of my days
Lord You are the hope in my heart
Dwelling at Your feet in worship
I bow before Your throne in adoration
My life is spent on loving You
Lord Jesus I am forever devoted to You
Forever devoted to You.

Copyright © 1992 Mercy Publishing. All rights reserved. International copyright secured.
The music above is copyrighted by the respective artists, and is demonstrated here for educational purposes only.

No comments:

Post a Comment