Monday, April 21, 2014

Compromise

Webster’s 1828 Dictionary defines compromise this way:
COMPROMISE, n. [L. To give bond to stand to an award, to promise. See Promise.]
1.       A mutual promise or contract of two parties in controversy, to refer their differences to the decision of arbitrators.
2.       An amicable agreement between parties in controversy, to settle their differences by mutual concessions.
3.       Mutual agreement; adjustment.

I have heard of some disconcerting talk recently concerning the ground (or liberties) Christians are losing in this nation.  I have heard this topic spoken of quite often in the media as well as from informed Church leaders who share this information.  Generally, one could say the Christian Church in America is in decline or is under an attack.  On the surface an attack may seem like a bad thing, but in reality it is not bad at all, but a necessary thing.  God allows these attacks on the church to bring purity of thought and character.  The anti-Christian agenda is to remove God from any and all public sectors.  It is a separation between what is spiritual and not just what is secular, but what is of the flesh.  To put it more directly it is a frontal attack on our beliefs which causes us to take inventory of what is truly important and necessary concerning our faith.

It may seem with the tough economic and social conditions we are facing that the Church in America has never experienced such difficult times as these, that may be so here in America but we cannot compare the persecution in the rest of the world to that we experience here in America.  At least not yet!  During the early years of the Christian Church persecution was quite common and necessary.  In fact many secular societies in recorded history have collapsed due to their protracted immoralities, but the Church endured even through persecutions and torture, why, the reason is because of the person of Jesus Christ was living and acting through the lives of these committed people.  The Church was called to be salt and light.  Salt was often used as a preservative for food and is a great description of how the Church preserves a remnant that speaks the word of God to the community, and is the hands and feet of Christ on the ground where it is needed most. 

John 15:5-6 (The Voice)
5 I am the vine, and you are the branches. If you abide in Me and I in you, you will bear great fruit. Without Me, you will accomplish nothing. 6 If anyone does not abide in Me, he is like a branch that is tossed out and shrivels up and is later gathered to be tossed into the fire to burn.

Our common enemy (Satan) has had it in his mind all along to rob us of our God given inheritance since man was created.  This is sometimes evident and at other times not so evident in our societal history.  Why is there such a vehement attack against the Church now in what is considered a time of peace?  Historically there have been epic battles recorded in the past between “Christian” combatants and either “Muslim” or other “non-Christian” opponents.  Is war the way Christ’s kingdom is established in the world?  In reading history one could likely come to that conclusion.  But God’s word says something totally different.   

There is another tactic our enemy uses to gain control over our minds and our peace, it is called compromise.  On the surface it seems to be quite innocuous, innocent and simple.  But compromise can be the first step into deception.  Below are some examples of compromise.
 
Compromise:
·         Caused Eve to disobey God because the fruit was more pleasing to the eye than trusting the integrity of God. 
·         Caused Saul to forfeit his kingdom by thinking he could please God by disobeying by offering sheep as sacrifice to God from a heathen nation.
·         Cost Eli his sons and his office as Judge and High Priest over Israel by not disciplining and training his sons. 
·         Caused Samson to marry a non-Jewish woman who betrayed him to the Philistines for money. He traded his call as a Nazorite for the lusts of the flesh.
·         Caused Solomon to marry foreign woman who were not Jewish who eventually led him away from God. 
·         Caused David to leave his armies during a time of battle which led to an affair with Bathsheba the wife of Uriah, David then murdered Uriah to cover his sin.

God has made it clear what His edicts were concerning his will, He has stated not only His desires but also His promises.  There are two parts of the word ‘compromise’ which are important to discern, the prefix ‘com’ comes from the Latin meaning “with,” “together,” or “in association.”
Promise also has an interesting definition,

PROM'ISE, n. [L. promissum, from promitto, to send before or forward; pro and mitto, to send.]
     In a general sense, a declaration, written or verbal, made by one person to another, which binds the person who makes it, either in honor, conscience or law, to do or forbear a certain act specified; a declaration which gives to the person to whom it is made, a right to expect or to claim the performance or forbearance of the act.

God’s promises can never be broken because of His honor, integrity, uprightness and holiness.  It has been said that God’s promises are ‘yes and amen’ (or, so be it) and so it is. 

Hebrews 6:16-18 (The Voice)
16 When swearing an oath to confirm what they are saying, humans swear by someone greater than themselves and so bring their arguments to an end. 17 In the same way, when God wanted to confirm His promise as true and unchangeable, He swore an oath to the heirs of that promise. 18 So God has given us two unchanging things: His promise and His oath. These prove that it is impossible for God to lie. As a result, we who come to God for refuge might be encouraged to seize that hope that is set before us.

Satan has always sought to bring into question the integrity of God.  Mankind has listened to that voice of compromise since Eve first listened to the serpent in the Garden of Eden.

Compromise is actually like telling God to His face that you are in direct rebellion to His will and purpose for your life and that you can do better for yourself than He can.  How dare man tell God anything but ‘yes’.  The enemy has used compromise to derail many men and women of God from the purposes God brought them into this world to accomplish.  

Are we living in the last days or not?  it is true, we have been living in the last days since Jesus ascended into heaven.  Does that mean Jesus will return in our lifetime?  I don’t know, only God knows for sure, but I sure hope so!  How should we then live our lives?  We should be watchful and diligent for opportunities to share Christ with others and to be good students of the written word as well as the spoken word.  We are living witnesses of Christ of what He has done in our lives. 

So what is our purpose as Christians and what is our ministry?  First and foremost as our initial purpose we are to minister to the Lord, make relationship with Him, talk to him and allow Him to answer by listening for Him.  Allowing Him to speak to us through the written word as well as through prayerful meditation, allowing Him to change us on the inside conforming our mind, will, and emotions thereby transforming us into the people of God.

             Psalm 46:10 (The Voice)
             10 “Be still, be calm, see, and understand I am the True God. 
                            I am honored among all the nations.
    I am honored over all the earth.”

Our ministry is simple…

2 Corinthians 3:17-18 & 4:1 (ESV)
17 Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom. 18 And we all, with unveiled face, beholding the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from one degree of glory to another. For this comes from the Lord who is the Spirit.  4:1 Therefore, having this ministry by the mercy of God, we do not lose heart.

Everything about us as Christians, who we are and what we do stems from 2 Corinthians 3:17-18 & 4:1
We are to reflect the Lord's glory in who we are and what we do.  Christ in us...the hope of glory.

Why go through with all of this changing and growing in Christ?  Simple!  It is because He loves us so greatly!  Check this out…

Isaiah 43:1-4 & 10-12 (The Voice)
1  Remember who created you, O Jacob?
        Who shaped you, O Israel?
    See, you have nothing to fear. I, who made you, will take you back.
        I have chosen you, named you as My own.
2     When you face stormy seas I will be there with you with endurance and calm;
        you will not be engulfed in raging rivers.
    If it seems like you’re walking through fire with flames licking at your limbs,
        keep going; you won’t be burned.
3     Because I, the Eternal One, am your God.
        I am the Holy One of Israel, and I will save you.
    I have traded in nations to win you back,
        Egypt, Cush, and Seba, in exchange for your freedom.
4     Because you are special to Me and I love you,
        I gladly give up other peoples in exchange for you;
    They are trivial by comparison to your weighty significance.

10 You are My witnesses; You are My proof.
    You whom I chose for special purpose, My servant,
        in order that you would know Me, trust Me, be faithful to Me,
    Understand that I alone am God; no god was formed before Me,
        and there will be no god after Me.
11     I, I am the Eternal;
        there is no Savior except for Me,
12     I alone told that this victory would happen. Then I saved you and made it known.
        No other god worked among you—You know the truth.
    You can testify that it is so; as I declare, I alone am God.

Let us put compromise far from our minds and become singularly focused on God’s love for us and others,
and realize that He loves us far more than anything in this world.  He would give up anything for us because of our significance to Him, He even gave up His own dear Son for us!
That in my thinking is the best way to avoid compromise, stay grounded in His word and have a daily personal knowledge of His love for you.  He loves you, and wants to prove to you the depths of His love if you would let Him.

That is what I call an amazing love.
                  Click The Red & White arrow ↓ below to listen to the song


Make my life a prayer to you
Words and Music by Melody Green

Make my life a prayer to you
I wanna do what you want me to
No empty words and no white lies
No token prayers no compromise

I wanna shine the light you gave
Through your son you sent to save us
From ourselves and our despair
It comforts me to know you're really there

Chorus
Well I wanna thank you now
For being patient with me
Oh it's so hard to see
When my eyes are on me
I guess I'll have to trust
And just believe what you say
Oh you're coming again
Coming to take me away

Refrain
I wanna die and let you give
Your life to me so I might live
And share the hope you gave me
The love that set me free

I wanna tell the world out there
You're not some fable or fairy tale
That I've made up inside my head
You're God the son and you've risen from the dead

Chorus
I wanna die and let you give
Your life to me so I might live
And share the hope you gave me
I wanna share the love that set me free

1977, 1978 April Music Inc.  All Rights Reserved.
The music above is copyrighted by the respective artists, and is demonstrated here for educational purposes only

No comments:

Post a Comment