Thursday, February 6, 2020

"..a fountain that overflows.." - Proverbs 21:21 (TPT)


The proverbs of Solomon does give one wisdom who puts their trust in the Lord. 

I remember growing up as a young Christian reading a chapter a day in Proverbs corresponding to the day of the month, and I would ponder every verse for meaning and application to my life for I needed wisdom. I did this for several years, and I grew in a deeper understanding of what it meant to have knowledge, but I longed for more wisdom. 

I began to realize that wisdom is not a “thing” you acquire like knowledge; wisdom is a person. This concept may be hard to explain, but wisdom is the embodiment of the word which becomes flesh, as wisdom was imparted to me it became a part of me. 

In the New Testament, there is a verse concerning the person of Christ which Paul calls a mystery:

“Living within you is the Christ who floods you with the expectation of glory! This mystery of Christ, embedded within us, becomes a heavenly treasure chest of hope filled with the riches of glory for his people, and God wants everyone to know it!” Colossians 1:27 (TPT)

The mystery is, how does the written word of God put on flesh and become alive and live inside of us? 

My Grandmother once told me many times that “the bible is alive and is a living document, and as we read it, it becomes alive in us.” How is this possible? I can honestly tell you it’s a mystery! 

Wisdom is the character of Jesus, and when wisdom speaks with you, and you become aware that He is speaking to you from the pages of the bible. Still, wisdom becomes a presence that fills your headspace and brings you peace and confidence that you are making the right decisions that need to be made. 

Wisdom is beyond the natural mind and steps into the spiritual; some say wisdom it is meta-physical, I would disagree, for I believe that wisdom is the very presence and mind of God at work in the life of the believer.

“Wisdom is a gift from a generous God, and every word he speaks is full of revelation and becomes a fountain of understanding within you.” Proverbs 2:6 (TPT)

Along with wisdom comes understanding, many of the “A-Ha moments” that come to us when we seek wisdom and understanding are from the Lord and are usually concerning matters we need clarification.

The Lord is our wisdom; Paul knew this and took the opportunity to pray for the believers at Ephesus that they might receive wisdom.

“I pray that the Father of glory, the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, would impart to you the riches of the Spirit of wisdom and the Spirit of revelation to know him through your deepening intimacy with him.” Ephesians 1:17 (TPT)

As we grow in Christ, the spirit of wisdom increases as we know Him, and His presence becomes the active part inside of our spirit; we then have intimacy with Him. As His Spirit intermingles with ours, He begins to reveal the depths of Himself to us; it is like stepping into a deep place of knowledge which everything is open to us and at our use for the asking.

“Who could ever wrap their minds around the riches of God, the depth of his wisdom, and the marvel of his perfect knowledge? Who could ever explain the wonder of his decisions or search out the mysterious way he carries out his plans?” Romans 11:33 (TPT)

Even though Paul says this to the Roman church gathering, it was meant to be taken rhetorically, for that is what we are supposed to do. We do apply our minds to God’s riches and His treasure trove of wisdom and perfect knowledge.

“If you want to become wise, you must begin by respecting the Lord. To know the Holy One is to gain understanding.” Proverbs 9:10 (NIRV)

As I recount all those years ago as I read the book of Proverbs every day, I am awestruck with the awareness of where I am now in my relationship with the Lord today. 

Proverbs helped me to see that it wasn’t wisdom alone that I was seeking after; it was the Lord Himself. The more I pursued Him, the more I was made aware of the height and depth and the length and breadth of His treasure for me; it is inexhaustible. 

Everything is wrapped up in His love, all knowledge, all wisdom, all understanding, and most of all, His glory. 

And the best part, it is ours forever!
Be Blessed;
Stephen Barnett

No comments:

Post a Comment